Helpful tips to help when planning outfits for your session.
It’s important that what you wear feels like your family, but also feels a bit special too.
- Have mum choose her outfit first, something that she loves, feels confident in and feels comfortable in Then colour match everyone else around that colour tone.
- Choose 2-3 colours that work well with mum’s outfit, it’s about colour coordinating with her colour tones, not about being matchy matchy.
- If one person wants to wear a pattern, make sure it’s small and subtle. Having a lot of patterns can make the photo seem too busy.
- Consider where you will be putting the prints in your home and choose colours that compliment your decor.
- If you are getting photos on the beach, don’t worry about shoes, you can go barefoot.
- Fitted clothing can be your friend and give you shape. Be careful not to pick something that’s too flowy and make you look unflattering. It’s about balance.
- If there’s a chance it could be cold, make sure the little people have a jumper/cardigan.
- Involve your kids in what they wear, talk to them about it, it will get them excited about the session. Have them try it on before the session (in case it’s itchy)
- If little people are wearing dresses, have them wear little shorties under them to avoid undies in photos and with bubs, that nappies are completely hidden.
- Accessories and texture add something special in photos.
- Have your outfits ready and ironed the day before.
I am totally here to help you in the planning, so please feel free to text me outfit ideas, even as you’re shopping.
My suggestion is once you have all the outfits ready, lay them all out on a bed or the floor, take a photo and see then if something doesn’t quite fit.
What not to wear:
- Always stay away from logos/brand names and lots of different patterns. One person wearing a small print in a group works well, but more than one can look messy. The key is to avoid loud patterns that can take the focus off your expressions.
- Stay away from fluoro/neon colours, they change colour in camera and take the focus off everyone.