It’s important that what you wear feels like your family, but also feels a bit special too.
- Start by choosing a colour theme : Whites and neutrals, autumn colours ( mustard, deep reds, navy and browns) , browns and white, pastel pallet, nautical, all white or denim and neutral tones.
- It’s about colour coordinating with the colour tones, not about being matchy matchy.
- If one person wants to wear a pattern, make sure it’s small and subtle. Having a lot of patterns can make the photo seem too busy.
- If you are getting photos on the beach, don’t worry about shoes, you can go barefoot.
- Fitted clothing can be your friend and give you shape. Be careful not to pick something that’s too flowy and make you look unflattering. It’s about balance.
- If there’s a chance it could be cold, make sure the little people have a jumper/cardigan.
- If little people are wearing dresses, have them wear little shorties under them to avoid undies in photos and with bubs, that nappies are completely hidden.
- Accessories and texture add something special in photos.
- Have your outfits ready and ironed the day before.
The best way to start sharing what you are wearing is to start a family chat, share ideas of the tones you want and then find outfits that will suit that colour theme. This family chose whites, neutrals and beige for their tones.
I am totally here to help you in the planning, so please feel free to text me outfit ideas too, I have seen many sessions and can help to let you know what photographs well.
My suggestion is once you have all the outfits ready, get everyone to lay them all out on a bed or the floor, take a photo and see then if something doesn’t quite fit….I like to make a collage of everyones photos and see what’s not working.
What not to wear:
- Always stay away from logos/brand names and lots of different patterns. One person wearing a small print in a group works well, but more than one can look messy. The key is to avoid loud patterns that can take the focus off your expressions.
- Stay away from fluoro/neon colours, they change colour in camera and take the focus off everyone.